RACIST @ DIDO's

Yesterday, I walked to Dido's with my parisian friend. The weather was super nice and I was in the mood to walk actually. We didnt talk much, just enjoyed walking together exchanging couple of statments everynow and then. I guess, everyone in his own thoughts, which I hadnt much or any in particular. Just feeling a little quiet inside I guess.

So we entered Dido's. We sat on the table overlooking the window. If you havent been to Dido's before, it is a small place, nothing fancy, very simple, very cheap too, and I like it. It was fairly empty except of a loud table with a group of girls and boys. Listening a little to their conversation I cant help but realize they were the close by Chruch's teenagers. The gals were each wearing a cross, and the guys a golden necklass with probably a cross hanging too. They were just hanging at Dido's after Mass. I remember my best friend M., he is christian, who used to love going to Mar'ashli church on fridays to socialize, attend the cermony en passant. He is hilairious. I am not saying this in a generalizing tone. Actually, I love that my friend was so open and honest about his intentions, nothing to do with his faith or anything.

The group was talking in a very loud voice. Cant help but hear their discussions. They sat in a way where a girl has to have a boy at one of her sides. They were discussing Soiree dress, what Sarah, this is one of the girl's name, black dress and bla bla. The guys were actually interested and they advise her how to look better. I looked to see who this 'Sarah' girl was, and she didnt look cute or anything. I am not judging or anything, I was just curious.

Another girl, was giving me her back, I couldnt help but look at her butt actually. I am serious. She was wearing Jeans and all, but her underwear was all out. I told M., if she wanted to show us her underwear better wear a nice one. She was wearing a big underwear, beige in colour, looked old, and it was something like Na'ima 3akif style. This huge ones! Oh well. I was embaressed actually and hoped to just tell her to hide it. I am sure she wasnt aware of that. But it actually distracted me.

Then entered another group. 2 girls alone. One looked very modest and the other a little showy but in a nouveau way kind. She was wearing a trendy ugly green skirt, and a shirt that showed her stomach. No sooner had she sat than she received a call on her cell. A big smile on her face. Rushed out and I found this Toyota Corolla car parking and she rushing to the guy inside. She suddenly transfered to this feminine figure with a smile hehehhe. Funny. Obviously, this guy was her fiance to be. He was at the church, went to drop his mother and then came to meet them here...so I thought to myself. What else?! They sat there just infront of me. They guy order spagetti. They served it and gave him a fork and a spoon to eat the spagetti with. He didnt know how to use the 2 tools (neither do I) so he ended up wrapping the spagetti all over the fork, half way to his fingers! I kept watching him. Everytime his girlfriend turned her face, he would pull down the spagetti down from the fork. heheheh. Funny too. Just use the fork and ask for a knife and get done with the business, or ask for a different type of pasta. Worst thing is to go on a date eating pasta or lobster.

Then came another group, 2 gals and a guy. They look a little middle class typo too. One of them was obviously crying so hard and hardly taking her breath. She kept recieving a call on her annoying cell phone that she chose to have a horrible loud arabic song set as this person's assigned tone. She would go outside the place. Talk and cry. Cry and talk. Oh god. I thanked God that I am not in her situation. It is the worst thing to have a broken hard or be threatned to lose someone you love or fight or or. It is horrible. Anyways, I heard her saying to her friend, 'I have to go to Shubra now...' Oh shoot, coming the whole way from Shubra to Zamalek to attend church, why?

So where is the racisim here? Well, looking and following all these groups I had one thought running in my mind: Christians. They talk in a christian way using mots like 'sada'ini, sa7i7..', they have a certain face features, there is something there that just tell you this person is christian. No offense here. Same for muslims, right. Moreover, I was wondering with my friend, why make them come the whole way from wherever they are to Mar3ashly chruch. Is it because Mass here is so awesome or to partly socialize and on the hope to find a mate or a bride.

My racisit thinking is that they choose this church because most likely they would meet girls and guys from decent families who either live close and thus assume a good family...etc. However, judging from what I see at Dido's on Fridays, that again and again, groups of the same standard hang together. The three groups were different for sure in their social standards. They way they eat, act, dress. You cant just help ignore it. Whether we like it or not, their is social segregation happening even at church, and sure in the mosques too......


Anyways, I am not what I want to say here... but social segregation is normal i suppose whether we like it or not.

Maybe will refine this post later.

Comments

zoss said…
I don't think there's a "word" for religious discrimination... sometimes it actually falls under the umbrella of racism. I am guessing this doesnt help you much since you're trying to distinguish between discrimination based on religion and that based on race, but I'm also not really sure where you're going with that sentence either, so I'll just leave it at that.

One interesting thing to notice though is: "racist" can be used as a noun and an adjective, while "discriminate" can be used as a verb and an adjective. So, the way to combine them in a sentence with "but" or "and" is a little tricky. You either use them both as adjectives, which I find is sometimes too "labelling", or you make a noun out of the verb, and so forth ..

One last thing, even though the word "discriminate" in essence means simply differentiate or distinguish, it has come to carry a heavy negative connotation, so just be aware of that.
haal said…
Interesting analysis Zoss. Very accurate.

I guess i will go with Racist then.

Thanks
Mohamed said…
What type of watches were they wearing?
haal said…
Not rolex, that's for sure, Mohamed. Maybe a plastic one like yours.
haal said…
did u notice how ur friend is taking this Rolex, segregation thing personal ;) Is he always like this?

He is always talking about family land, parents job and water activities and when we try to imitate him he gets all personal!

So, take him to Dido's
Mohamed said…
Someone explain this about Dido's. Its a cheap, tiny, uncomfortable very regular place, with ok pasta. Why is it that many of the Rolex-type people like going there! To mingle with the regular people? Observe others, since they sit so close next to them, and start stereotyping them (checking out their underwear :)? And why is it becoming a standard place for couples' dates, cool couples who are cheap?

Last time I went there, the friend I was with met a friend of his with his half-Swiss girlfriend (bent gamda awy), and my friend was telling me how he was treating her like shit, beating her and what not! and then he takes her on a date to Dido's!

The only thing I like about Dido's is the price. Although I can get makarona belbashamel men ayy wa7ed beta3 foul berob3 eltaman!

I'm betting this has nothing to do with the theme of this post. Hehe..
haal said…
[dido's] cheap, tiny, uncomfortable very regular place, with ok pasta...rolex....'

Right, but it is in Zamalek. Why do you think one will think of opening a cheap dinner there?

Popular posts from this blog

ISLAMIC SHOP

ED DIDN'T SAY

CAN IT BE