KHAYAMIYA

So, I went to get Z.'s present last night. It is the hardest thing for me. Buying presents, ewh! It is really hard to know what people like, plus I have a different taste and style so I hate to get a present and latter find it in the attick, or not appreciated. That is probably why I dont like birthdays. I tend to just hide my gift with others, no card or anything. Just the present so as not to know whose present is this. Anyways, I dont like people getting me presents and I dont like to do the same. I prefer a nice party, nice dinner, theatre tickets...stuff of that sort.

So, for Z. it is worse actually. I have to admit that. I keep thinking about his birthday present 3-4 months in advance. Take silent notes of what catches his attention and his comments wherever we go. I just want to get him the best thing, and at the same time something that he would truly like and use. So, here I was, standing infront of Sultan al-Ghury mosque, waiting for this anonymous guy to take me to the Khayamiya market. For some weird reason, I thought of buying him one! And I did. I bought him a big Coushin with arabic/Islamic designs that he can either hang on the wall or just throw on the floor. I hope he will like it.

New experience for me this organizing for a birthday party. Did I say that I dont like that. I never cared for doing that, but this year I wanted to cheer him up a little and get his friends to celebrate. So I emailed S. reminding him of Z.'s birthday and asking if they are organizing something for him. S. called back to brainstorm what we should do. Well, we ended talking about many things but the brainstorming. I think I am not just into planning gatherings, dont have ideas at all. The maximum you can get from me is to be invited. SoI hope we will be able to arrange for a small get-together.

My idea of a get together is simply go out to a restaurant or to the Italian club, have dinner and that's it. Not sure why it would be more complicated than that! I hope this will be the case. My objective is just to gather his friends for him and that's it. Where or how doesnt matter!

S. hopefully will know what we should do! At least I half got the present.

Comments

Mohamed said…
But I thought his birthday should be what he likes, not what you like! Maybe you should take him fishing. For convenience you can do it somehwere in the Nile. Rent a yacht and invite all his friends (everyone should come with their fishing rods).
Alina said…
I love presents (to give or to receive), but I hate the process of thinking of the perfect present, especially for a significant other...Because it has to be perfect! The card should as well be perfect!
LouLou said…
Love organizing parties & buying presents. For presents I think the best bet is what you did haal. Will always make a point of meeting whoever I want to buy a present somewhere where there is shopping a little before their birthday. Then I watch what they like or simply ask what do you want to look at first.

That is if I don't already know. Or don't have something special in mind.

A get-together is even nicer than the present. Would much rather have a party for my bday than a present.

Enjoy the 13th Haal.
Eve said…
Going with Mo's idea I like the boat thing. I know a boat we rent for birthdays. It's a 2 hour long ride, down the nile, lovely during sunset and the best thing is it's just you and your friends.
No waiters to make you uncomfortable, no too loud music that will keep you from hearing each other. You bring your food and just enjoy the ride.
If you want the contact I can email it to you.
I hate big parties, though i love presents. especially the more thoughtful ones.
i remember last year, i had to observe my dearest friend for a 6 month long to record all her favorite musical pieces.. to make her 2 CDs that she feedbacked: its her best.

and it even got me 3 weeks to design the cover and the wrapping

it didnt cost me much yet it needed alot of hardwork and online searching.. however, i am really GLAD and THANKFUL to the impression it left in my friend. and how i managed to draw a smile on her face whenever she listens to my CDs..

thats how life should b going between friends.. simple but thoughtful as well :)
haal said…
yes, kayla, sometime unexpected gifts are great. But birthday ones are just lame. I do try to get the best thing I find and I take lots of time to think and go here and there. If it were for me, I just dont care that much.

Organizing surprise parties, and buying presents....etc. is not me. I just see it as a 'comitment' thing and just resent it. I like casual gathering at my place, throw some food and people just mingle, and dont have to worry about who is/isnt having a good time... and this is the gatherings I like to attend. We are grownup..sorta.
Alina said…
Well, i have less than two moths to figure out such a present. And it's already driving me crazy! BTW, remember my emails on the topic? Well, it is better than expected! But this present thing is really killing me! :)
haal said…
Yes, I remember :) Cute really. Glad things worked out well.

Popular posts from this blog

ISLAMIC SHOP

ED DIDN'T SAY

CAN IT BE