What's right with Egyptians... Could it be me?

I know there is something right with Egyptians. No doubt about that. What is it? This is the question. Why can't I immediately recognize it? This is another question.

Is it because 'wrong' becomes more dominant, and 'right' is now the exception, hardly seen?; the magnitute of 'wrong' inflats and that of 'right' deflats?; Could it be that my definition of 'right' & 'wrong' changed? Become impacted with the direct or indirect ideas of post-enligthenment Europe, which became the ‘minaret’ from which I look at and evaluate the traditions of non-Westerners. All I can see from up there is an unorganized, backward, stagnant and unfamiliar world that doesn't make sense to me and thus needed to be modernized!

Is this solely the reason why I can't immediately recognize what is right with Egyptians, and at the same time, am ready to write assiduously about what is wrong? Could it be me?

Could be. Could be Egyptians too.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Good one :)

But that's easy. Just open any Egyptian magazine or TV show, you'll find them brag about it all the time.

But I guess you're looking for some genuine answers. Alot of those too actually. I'll think of some and get back to you.
Anonymous said…
There's a lot that's right about Egyptians - you only need to live abroad for a while. Ofcourse, 'right' here isn't universal, which means it doesn't apply to all Egyptians.

Generosity, modesty, kindness, courage are but a few. The simple fact that you can go out at 2:00am and not have to worry about coming home in one piece. The fact that if your car breaks down on the road, you can rest assured someone will stop to help, regardless of how late it is.

Ya3ni. Fe bawazan keteer bardo.
Anonymous said…
Hellme, sorry, but I think you've been living abroad for too long ;)

Generosity, modesty, kindness, and even courage are very disputed traits of Egyptians, that's if we can't just say that those are not Egyptian traits out right, aslan.

If you're a girl and you're out in the street at 2am, most likely, you won't be back home in one piece. For a guy, a car breaking down, means that every passer by will offer his services for cash rewards.

Yes, yes, yes.. ok, there good traits, wallahy.. bass we need to think really hard to find them :)
haal said…
What is right is right. Don't need to live abroad for a while to see and feel it. Sure, absolute right is not what I am looking for. But, if I may say, an egyptian trait, that I can say, 'aha egyptians are...' Like for instance, I would say Germans are organized, professional. But I couldn't find something like this for egyptian. I came up with 'welad nukta' before as a virtue that recognize egyptians, but then I thought it was ridiculous. Maybe not!

I may agree that Egypt is safe, even for girls being alone. I personally was never dangerously harrassed. But no matter where I walk or drive, I hear comments, some are not that pleasant whatsoever.
Anonymous said…
In attempt to be positive here, Al Sharief mentioned a couple of "right" things about ordinary Egyptians in one of his comments at my blog, he said:
"I do also believe that “Ordinary Egyptians” are miracles on their own rights. From the perspectives of their simplicity, surviving instinct, ..."

Now we don't have to get into how Egyptians manage to survive (that could get us again into the wrong things again!), but Egyptians are survivals, that's for sure.

Popular posts from this blog

WISH

ISLAMIC SHOP

CAN IT BE