Le coup de something

I woke up this morning with a nagging statement of Abu Bakr's al-Sidiq. Its translation is something to the effect of, 'I would never be guarded aganist God's 'makr' even if one of my legs is in Paradise.' I assume it is a figurative expression, meaning that 'there is nothing like safe-side, formula, to do list to enter paradise'. On the other hand, famous hadiths or verses from Coran keep hinting/implying that we wouldn't enter paradise except with the mercy of God not because of our deeds. Hmm... So. What does these apparently opposite instances imply?

Well, I advocate simplicity in our relation to our creator. Cease to treat God the same way we treat our boss, or doing without attempting to understand. I would like to think that God is not interested in my prayers if it is a physical exercise, fasting if it is to starve myself to death!! I believe, there are more to things than its appearance. It is not logic, nor spiritual, just a training to seek depth and freedom in everything we do, either an order from God, or desire from within.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Is there something like 'safe side', logic, loss and gain in our relation with God? A puzzling statement I read on from cairo, where he hinted that having a veiled wife will place him in the safe-side--a sacrastic statment that shouldn't be taken literally. Just a figurative expression. I know, but it sure holds an element of truth to what we imagine, been told and taught about God. So my waves of thoughts took me to ask, or maybe re-ask: did we create our own God, or did he create us?

I have no thoughts on this question now, maybe later. All I know is that this statement and what it denotes have been a regular comer to my thoughts. This is just a sheer reflection on myself. Nothing aganist anyone. So hold your horses.

P.S. I am ambivalent to the whole hijab issue. If I am attempting to do anything it is to try to understand the undercurrent to some of my 'religious' attitudes, if any. The actual act of praying, hijab, you name it is not important, they are just actions. But I am more interested in understanding what insinuates the actions, the driving force and feelings, as Prophet Mohammed would say, al-niyya!

My problem, or maybe not, is that I regard words--including and specifically sacred text, as an impercise media. Open to various interpretation, BUT, I think this impercision is for a reason. Not to globalize it, but to personalize it, and I may add, micro personalize it, micro-micro-micro personalize.

I am not sure how to explain these thoughts. Unfortunately, I am not a logical person and to be honest, not a fan particularly when it comes to religion.

HOWEVER, feel free to say what you think, maybe I will be stimulated.

Comments

Mohamed said…
Let me take a shot at this.

We (as Muslims) aim to please God, by obeying His commands (or what we believe are His commands), right? As much as I'd like to view everything logically, I cannot, and there are alot of unknowns out there. So, being "on the safe side" is what you do when in doubt, while trying to please God, no? Something like ejtenab elshobohat.
haal said…
but my 'feeling' is that doing anything for the sake of being in the 'safe-side', takes away the pleasure of the doing it... which i would think is the essence of why we (me not always) tend to please God. Not because we want to be in the safe-side as much as we 'love to please' Him.... (again something along these lines..)
Mohamed said…
That is certainly the ultimate goal, to "have pleasure and enjoy" pleasing God. I think that's a very high level of faith. For normal people like me, some pleasing is done out of pleasure, and some is done out of fear, and some is just not done.
Mohamed said…
This 'safe-side' phrase is really bugging you, isn't it? hehe :)

"verses from Coran keep hinting/implying that we wouldn't enter paradise except with the mercy of God not because of our deeds."
Can we really conclude that from the Quran?! Our deeds don't count!

.. and does AbuBakr's statement really mean that there is no 'safe-side'?
haal said…
hehe.. Kinda! Maybe because I dislike how our society managed to have a formula for everything in our life!

Good questions. My answer is No, Abu-Bakr statement doesn't absolutely mean there is no safe side, and yes, our deeds does count.

But my question is: if Abu-Bakr, with all he did to Islam and the prophet, didn't consider himself in the safe-side, does this make me, with my simple deeds compared to his, in the safe-side? What safe-side I am talking about? A wishful one maybe.

Does this mean we stop 'doing'? I never said that. But maybe, personally speaking, to stop thinking I got everything under control, and I figured everything out.
Anonymous said…
"does this make me, with my simple deeds compared to his, in the safe-side? What safe-side I am talking about? A wishful one maybe."

akeed la'aa (your or me, or anyone for that matter)..
its a "wishful safe-side".. bezzabt.

"I got everything under control, and I figured everything out."
Akeed mesh ana. And if my blog resembles anything, it resembles how much I haven't figured anything out.

Popular posts from this blog

WISH

ISLAMIC SHOP

CAN IT BE