M.M.M.M

This is my friend. Driving today back to my apartment I remembered him. Called him on his cell, and heard his voice giggling and calling me by my nick name. The minute I hear his voice I just smile. Amazing ability to simplify issues. He is my copy. Another scorpio. A friend since 92. Only friend I invited to my wedding.

So, why I called him? I realized that with him I had the most of memories. I actually missed him. He would come next week to visit here.

'Downtown NY, Fall 2002. Subway to WTC to rollerblade. Last carriage empty but with both me and him. Looked at one another. Immediately started dancing like circus de soliel.' Snapshot never left. I fall on the floor from laughter.

'By the Hudson river, Summer 2002. We sharing the ipod earphones listening to Tori Amous while walking. An empty plastic bag moved out of the bushes. I screamed.' Snapshot. He still tease me with it till now.

' Pen. station. He coming to pick me up and offered to take my bag and laptop. I did. While taking the escalator, he tripped and fall with all the bags almost falling on his head. I look back and all he cares about what to check that I did not see him. ' We giggled and cracked. I teased him with it.

'Train to Hoboken. He took the picture of NY mayor and transformed it into someone blowing a cake. 'Enfoukh ya bataki.'.... I still see it so vivid.

'Times square. 29-7-2001 a chinese guy drawing me and he standing behind him smiling like a kid. Encouraging me and raising his thumb telling me how great my picture was. And it was good.' Amazingly sweet.

'Left him playing games and went to braid all my hair like africanos. Came to pick him up and go for a walk on charles river while sipping coffee. COol wind in my hair!.' He was accepting.

'95-97. Falaki building. Him sitting under the palm tree hesitant and not at ease. He was afraid the palm tree would fall on him.' Amazingly paranoid.

'Spring 96. Greek campus. After attending a math class, him sipping his nescafe (.75 piaster), while day dreaming. 2 cats screamed out loud. He flipped while screaming and the whole cup fall on his face soaking him. His eyebrows were dripping. All campus laughed and of course I on the floor.' He used to stare at the cup of tea while drinking. Scary a bit.

'AUC cafeteria he would never eat with metal fork. He would go get a plastic fork.' Paranoid.

'Penn station he was caught by the police and put in cuffs for refusing to wrap his bear.' He fought back. I like him when he snapps.

'September 2002. NJ. Pumping hot. No AC. Pointing the fan at me and suddenly switching it to heater. Hot air blew in my face.' I cursed him and cracked.

'Spring 96. He pretended to be an italian model in the falaki corridor.' Happy days

'AUC. fall 93. We get dinner box from KFC and trifle. Go to sit infront of science building eat.' Very dear days.

'Summer 94. We enter 'dun juan de carols' in al Tahrir cinema. A stupid movie by Marlon Brando. A friend of his come and gave him this look. Thought I was his girl-friend.' We still imitate the move and wink.

'Summer 96. Ma3moura. We went to park. A group of troublemakers girls and boys weirdos on the same game with us. The girl said, 'tab azough ana ba'ah'. ' We both heard it. Looked and cracked. We still repeat this sentence.

'Summer 96. Ma3moura. Sip coffee at Wanous coffee shop at dusk.' We love silence.

'Almost every night at 8 pm for 2 years. We would watch Seinfeld together.'

And much much more....

He is indeed a great friend. How similar we are, I can't write about. Very. With a twist. I am indeed more confrontational and he more tactiful.

I learn from him. Like a lot. Cherish. Grateful that we are still friends after all these years. No matter where we are we manage to connect. Really. Light and simple.

What I like best about him?
Distance and privacy. He knew something is saddening me. He glimpses and pretends he does not see. Never asks me. Waits for me to say. And I say. Honestly. And he makes it light and real. Does not preach. Never did. Does not give advice. Never ever did. Just say something that is light and impersonal that gives me and him insight. Because amazingly we pass by the same mood swings at the same time.

Again. One of the rare friends who I do minimum effort with yet showers me with care and help.

I guess I am lucky.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WISH

ISLAMIC SHOP

CAN IT BE