INTERVIEW

So, we need someone to fill a job in my department. A junior job. He/she will be reporting directly to me. Very few candidates applied to the job. We hardly find anyone suitable. Well, finally, after exerting tons of efforts, and sacrifice, they got me this candidate to interview. His resume looks ok. Not the great experience or relevance that I would like, but I have to hire someone.

One week before the candidate came to see me for interview, he sat with the HR and another key person in the department. They briefed him on the job we are expecting him to do. They were not impressed, but they said relevant.

Yesterday, he was to have an interview with me. Surprisingly he didn't show up on time. I waited in the meeting room at 10 a.m., but he didn't come. The busy woman I became recently, I was not ready to wait for him. I left after 10 minutes and asked the secretary to send him to my office if he showed up.

Almost an hour later, my secretary knocked and said that M. came for interview, asking if she should let him in. I thought for a moment, and nodded yes.

A movie star entered. Tie. Shirt. Full Suite. Fancy shades. Cell. Keys. He entered, 'M. H.?' I said, 'yes.' And he took off his shades, and walked straight to where I sit. I didn't move, just gave him a look and asked him to sit. He did, threw his cell and keys on my desk, something I didn't like much actually.

Anyways, he started by apologizing in a non-apologizing manner for being late. Giving me stupid reason that I didnt really get, but just nodded. And I started the interview.

I love interviews actually. My type of job and hobby. I am known for being a tough interviewer actually. Not friendly to say the least. And I am not. I don't intend to intimidate anyone, just hate unspecific statments and vague resumes, which is the norm these days. Plus, since he is reporting to me directly, I have to feel that his persona appeals to me. I dont want a slave, and I also dont want someone to interfere in what I say. A right combination.

So, he started by introducing himself. As my usual, I couldn't understand because he was talking too fast for me. He would go on and on, and then I will stop him and take him back to a point he was by=passing, asking him to elaborate, be more specific, and to give me examples. This pissed him off. In the middle, I gave him a simple problem and asked him to go on the white board infront of me and show me how he will solve it. To present his line of thoughts. When I said this, he looked to me and said, 'give me a paper and pen.' I said sharply, 'NO. On the white board. Here the marker.' He went to the board and gave his answer. What a slob, really.

I was a little intrigued and decided to press more on him. I took the interview deeper, and started to ask for super details and play devil's advocate for cases he said he solved and approached. I can tell he got irritated. He would go round and round and then twice he would play smart and say, 'I forgot what was your question?'. I looked at him and said, 'I forgot too. You remind me.' 'Anyways....', he would continue. I look to him and give him a sarcastic smile.

After a series of question, I decided to end the conversation. Looked to him and asked, 'So my collegues had briefed you on the type of work we want from you, your title, and all, right?'. He looked to me and said, 'Yes they did, but I don't remember.' I looked to him, stood up and said, 'Ah ok. It was nice meeting you. You can leave.'

If you don't remember what type of job you are interviewing for, why on earth are you wasting my time.

Comments

Al Sharief said…
You 've done him nice, Scorpio!

I Wonder, How long did the kiss of the spider women lasted - (the frying)?
MoonLightShadow said…
LOL..

Despite the fact that I don’t consider what happened something to laugh about, but you made me laugh. Ham ybaky w ham yda7ak. What you described here Haal, reflects the deterioration in the level of university graduates, and how they are not prepared by anyway for the market, and all what they say is there are no job vacancies.

My manager once told me that there are a lot of vacancies, but no appropriate candidates. But I never imagined that candidates are that deteriorated.

I don’t know why I imagined you as a tough interviewer, sharp, straight to the point. You don’t like blabbering a lot, laf w dwaran that is.

Personally, I don’t like people who don’t show up on time, however sometimes I’m one of them, but not ever if it’s for an interview. I really can’t imagine how did he dare to come after an hour!!

These days there are some interviews going for hiring new people in my department as well. The HR person who interviews them tells us similar stories, but I never imagined that these stories are that common!

In spite of all that, these stories give me a push, makes me think, I’m not that bad after all.

So, what is the type of job, if I may ask?
Alina said…
I would have killed to be a little fly in that room. I think I would have enjoyed every minute of it! :)I know, I might sound as a mean, mean person, but I like when this happens to such start that over rate themselves! You will find someone better than him, I am sure!
Just Jane said…
Honestly I wouldn't have even bothered with the interview since he could not be bothered to show up on time, unless he had an excellent reason (not excuse) for his tardiness. I think you were rather kind to give him your time at all.
haal said…
Oh my God people, LOL, you are more mean than myself :) Very funny. I thought everyone would jump to his side hehehhehe... GIRLS! :)

I dont intend to be mean. By I expect to be talking to an adult. Respect me to respect you. If you think I am dumb or want to play tricks, I won't sure like it. So this is what happens. They do OVER RATE themselves, when they have nothing inside. I dont mind snobbish people, but when they have something.

Yes, Kay, you would have enjoyed it. My collegue was cracking silently behind his screen.

Graduates level did deteriorate alot, and are so full of themselves. I compare myself with him and remember how different I was. I wasnt the best in the market, yet was showing respect and know what I know and dont know.

So is life.
Alina said…
Haal, when you're good and right for the job, you know it but also know what image to display and how to promote yourself. You really don't act like a superstar or God's gift to employers...Being late for an interview? That is out of the question...I remember I was left waiting for an hour before my first test at my present company and almost thought to leave. They had a good excuse, that's why I stayed, a huge meeting called in at the last moment. But this is really out of the question, being on time is of ultimate importance, we all know that!
ألِف said…
I'm friendly when I interview people. I don't push them too far as long as the job doesn't require so, but I also don't hesitate to say "no thank you" for any reason I see good enough. Also if I don't like their CV I don't call in the first place, except when my boss pushes me.

I prefer people who are autonomous, even if they will argue and haggle with me.

When being interviewed, I become as friendly as the interviewer. If they talk serious I do too. If they try to brag I hammer. I don't mind the deepest technical or views-debate discussions, but I turn cold on too personal questions or lame psychic probes. Although sometimes I play along for the fun of it.

And unless I'm really desperate I'd leave if they leave me waiting in the antechamber too long. Maybe that's why I've been *self-employed* for the past two years :), but I haven't been looking seriously.

Interviewing is a talent. Not many HR persons have it, not to mention line managers. I don't claim I have it either.
Zettes said…
From my experience, I can tell you Haal is a very tough interviewer. She can be mean if she can be mean if she want to, but it is different.

I don't have too much sympathy for this fool who walked into the spider's lair. He reminds me of many I see walking around campus - coolness is the only important pre-requisite - or Daddy has a job for me already I am just going through the motions.

Anyway, it was funny to read about Haal back in action. Not suffering fools gladly and if forced to remind them of their foolishness.

A fun read, thanks,
haal said…
Chris,

You know I miss you a lot. Seriously. Why did we stop communicating, I mean, I stopped? Would you take a step and communicate with me..??? I am working on my communication skills...seriously....
Zettes said…
I have been sending you emails every two weeks on average. I haven't heard anything since an email on the improbability of love. I miss you a lot and am constantly reminded of your wisdom in my interactions. That said, never worry, you are always near to my heart. Christian
haal said…
Chris,
can you use this thewillto@gmail.com. I dont check the others.

Waiting for ur email. I might update u. I have things to say and things tocry about....

Popular posts from this blog

WISH

ISLAMIC SHOP

CAN IT BE