UMAR & LES FLEURS

'But muslims don't drink...' exclaimed Mo,

'I am not a muslim. I am a sufi.' Ibrahim Answered, 'Sufi is not a disease. It is a way of thinking. Well, some thinkings are like disease....but certainly not this one.'

Finally saw the movie Saturday at dawn between the mountains with Z while camping. It was really wonderful watching it although I expected it to be much better. There are lots of nice reflections and phrases that extracted from the Sufi thoughts, the inner dimension of religion, or may I say the 'personal reflection of religion.'

As for the 'I am not muslim. I am sufi statment' and that is why I drink (according to Sharif), I didn't particularly like this statment, not because of anything other than the separation of Muslims from Sufis. The impression that most people will deduce that Sufis are not following a shari'a, which is not the case. They observe the Shari'a, but they ask themselves, which Shari'a...... the inside or the outside!

Comments

LouLou said…
Welcome back Haal. Feenik?Been wondering what happened to you.
Mohamed said…
Yeah, welcome back.
Al Sharief said…
haal,

@loulou's Every Thing is relative,
I've much enjoyed the thinking you prompted & here I found another fountain, another chase.
You see I actually know this Bar named "Lost...& Found", the owner opened another location and named it "Lost& Found...Again". This is not a joke :-),It's true these 2 places exist. I laugh at it with friends. I just love good barnames.

"UMAR & LES FLEURS" Was that just a special screaning? must be fun.

Intresting thoughts & I agree that there should NOT ba a separation of Sufis from Muslims. Muslims themselves should know better.
haal said…
The movie is an old one, monsieur Ibrahim et les fleurs du Coran. It is pretty old, over a year. And someone got for me.

'Intresting thoughts & I agree that there should NOT ba a separation of Sufis from Muslims.'
Why did you say that!!!
Al Sharief said…
Did I misunderstand? I thought you did not like the statement "not because of anything other than the separation of Muslims from Sufis."

Yes I consciously sequenced it as
"Sufis from Muslims" if that what are enquiring about!?. I'm NO Sufi/or Sufism expert but I much enjoy the thought processing and beyond religion. Muslims are the masses, the average folks. Sufis are the few, "Blessed" or
"Condemned" they are definitely daring and creative thinkers. Sufis are a sub set from Muslims. I happen to respect an appreciate Sufis and "the inner dimension of religion". Organized religion is the science of spirituality, Sufis are it's artists. I think.
haal said…
No, I was just interested in knowing the 'why' part of your thoughts. That's it.
Thanks for the clarification.
Al Sharief said…
Is the film, English subtitlled?
Me No French...
haal said…
Yes, i think so. It has to be english subtitles for those who dont know French. :) Get it, you might like it.
ألِف said…
The Druz call themselves Muwahedin, not Muslemin, for they have transcended Islam to Iman.

The closely related Ismailis no longer bound themselves to the ritual practises of Islam, for they also have outgrown that.

AlNasiriyyia (a.k.a Alawites) appreciate wine, almost religously, not only as remenescents of their ancient Syrian religion, but extending the influence to Islam in an esoteric sense. [they used, before they were more main-streamly Islamised]

Of course the way it is put in the movie is nothing but a way to make a statement in a movie. Something you will never hear from a Sufi.

Do you want to see a whole spectrum of Islam, go Syria. You need a versed, objective, native guide-friend, or just to meet the right people. I was lucky.

Popular posts from this blog

WISH

ISLAMIC SHOP

CAN IT BE