LOVE WORD IN CORAN

Miss Egypt was given a hard question to answer during the competition. 'If you have 3 boxes, one contains Love, the second money, the third luck, which one will you choose?' Miriam chose Love as it doesnt go away while the rest can come and go (eih el halaw dee). This answer, according to al-ahram, impressed the panel and was the core reason for choosing her as Miss Zeft. How shallow... the question, the answer and even al-ahram comment. To that extent we are so trivial, and again, give value to flat toned answers.

To start off, there is actually something called money, that yes comes and goes, but so is love, it comes and goes too. I am not sure where is the difference? In fact, I will choose luck--because I have the money, so being lucky is a gurantee I will not lose it. Love, I am not sure if we can choose it or if it can be chosen. I think it doesnt exist. At least not that love we know of.

There are lots of words to describe Love. Initially was, I love you the dominant statment. The lover would say it to his beloved after which everything becomes silent. The statment that within it everything is encompassed and contained. Later, this very same statment became a commercial one. Lost its meanings and thus needed some elaboration, 'I love you and need you like the flowers need the sun, like the birds love freedom, like... like....' This is nonsense. Noise. More distortion in an attempt to translate a high pitch tone with a number of lower flat keys. It would never give the same impression or communicate the same beat. Well, it is our mistrust in our silence that pushes us to talk more. More nonsense. If we just be in 'silence', and be present with our feeling at that moment, all the words will be said. All the feelings will be conveyed. As they say, al-sakina is the Haal, silence is the ma3refa, the Knowing.

In Coran, when describing the mature relation between man and woman, it didnt use the word love. Instead, words like mawada and rahma were used instead. Only 'Love' is mentioned in relation to loving Allah and his prophet. Thus, love is only an exclusive to God as He is the only one worth the Love. The word Love also came once to in Surat Yusuf, in refrence to the women talking about Zulaykha's love to Joseph that makes her dissolve. Even this love was denied by Joseph, over which he chose to spend years in prison.

The love story of Zulaykha and Joseph is something that I keep wondering about, sometimes. What is its symbol, meaning, and message? What does the Coran try to tell us, warn us, guide us through by narrating this story? My friends would immediately point to women seductivness power, especially that in this sura, the verse, 'inna kaydahuna 'azeem..' is mentioned. A phrase that is cited more often to describe how women are capable of seducing, being promiscuous with all its culture implications!

The happiest couples are those whose silence is full of words.

Cant help but think of Jesus. The word of God. Only one word?! The symbol of Love. Yet, he left leaving no words in papers but One word in the Hearts.

Comments

Anonymous said…
So can we vote for you?

I sure can use some good luck. But luck comes and goes too. And sure, love exists. I'll see how you define it "later".
Anonymous said…
I wish I could define anything. I think time to de-define.
Dogman said…
I'm sure that love is a myth... the only question is, who started it? If it was a female who started it, it was to trap a man. If it was a man who started it, it was with the intent of getting some action from the female.
Dogman said…
P.S. I liked you page.
haal said…
DogMan,
what you just described is not Love. It is need.
Anonymous said…
Its not a myth, and it does exist. I cannot define it though either, cannot define or describe it completely. Part of it is actually need, I would say, and maybe selfishness (or would that make it something else other than love?). I'd go with your line of thinking in the post Haal. Mawadda, ra7ma, sakeena, 3eshra, ra7a, 7ayah, excitement, anxiousness, silliness, --and hate to say it, but for some-- helplessness and foolishness.

The two can be silent and enjoy their love, as well as be endlessly talking and enjoy their love.

Here's a test Haal. Can you stay on the phone with your lover for an hour without saying a word? (don't say its a waste of money). Are you comfortable with silence around your lover? Not necessarily personal questions here, general ones. I have the answers for myself.
Anonymous said…
Mo, I like what you write. I agree but I wont call that 'love' though. It is 'longing', and will go with sakina too. A longing to find rest, at ease and be oneself.

All I am saying in the post, that we diminshed the word love to need, when it is 'absolute' feeling that encompasses everything, even 'Hate' as you said.

Would I stay on the phone silent? Well, honestly No. for one reason, I hate talking on the phone, and probably my hands will soar. HOWEVER, I would love to sit next to my lover when he is sleeping and listen to his breath. And, yes, my favourite part too is walking with my 'lover' silently.

En bref, just knowing that he is next to me is in most cases great. I may add too, that I also enjoy endless talks and firey conversations too. Because at the end we talk because we WANT to let ourselves exposed to one another. Talk because we dont want to hide anything.
Anonymous said…
Yes, yes, yes. (except for the first paragraph).
haal said…
So what are your answers to your own questions? You will keep it to yourself, right!
haal said…
BTW, any take on Zulaykha's love to Joseph? I would like to see what people think of that. It is mentioned in Coran and bible too. Although very different, but the meaning of love might be the same. I sacrastically assume that no one cared to know!

If you are going to tell me, women seducing, then please don't comment then.
Anonymous said…
Haal, you are one smart babe. You got that comment thing working smooth :)

You want my answers? You know, this blog of yours is exposing me more than I'd like. Bass ma 3aleina. I'll answer you, can't say no to you.

Talking your guts out with your lover is the best thing ever. I am not a talkative person khales, but when I'm in love, I never stop talking (I make up for all my silence elsewhere). But Silence is equally great, I definetely agree with you. Yes, just being next to her, the security of knowing she's there, the comfort of feeling her, the oneness in hearing her breath. Amazing how such a simple thing could be satisfying.

If I am in love, yes I can stay on the phone for an hour without talking. Just knowing that she's there breathing! This involves a great deal of comfort with your partner and with who you are when you're together, no one is wondering what will be said next (sakeena), or what she is thinking that I'm not saying anything. It also involves a great deal of trust, knowing that she didn't leave the phone and go run some erronds! hehe. In brief, I would, yes --if I have no way to meet her physically. Mind you, when you say you hate phones, your talking about talking on phones, which was not the question.

About Zulaykha, I'll have to think about that and come back to you. But wasn't she the one seduced? (unintentionally that is).
Anonymous said…
How sweet and romantic that could be. But it takes a lot of trust in you and the other partner to be in this state.

One big romantic guy!! I assume (politely) you can be a little too sensitive, and demanding. what you are offering is a lot.
Anonymous said…
Well, maybe that's why I'm not getting any anymore.
Mohamed said…
Shit. I hope its not what I think. You'd be very dumb thinking that!
Anonymous said…
a gut feeling that you are yearning for a past. hint is mu7med and how you beautifuly described the connection.

Enough too personal stuff I guess.
Mohamed said…
Ok, that's not as bad as I thought. Hehe. I think I'm lacking sleep :)

You're slightly wrong, actually very wrong. But I won't talk more. Have to figure another way to do this, if you wanna hear!
Anonymous said…
so what was the first thinking of yours. Now I am curious to know :) probably it was the right one.
Mohamed said…
"probably it was the right one" smartie.. 7afawet-ha.

BTW, we've basically hijacked the comments on this blog. This thing was not designed for that!

Popular posts from this blog

WISH

ISLAMIC SHOP

CAN IT BE