FROM ROSSETTI

A dear friend. Very dear actually. If I believe in 'best friend' concept, then he is indeed one. Had our best and worst time together when I was living in the USA. We would fight and debate like hell, and then burst into laughter. We even didn't talk for months, but then we met and hiked together in AZ. Wonderful friendship that managed to survive all this tough, rough ups and downs; my agressive, egocentric character, and his witty, competitive nature. Now the long distance, and the changing that each of us is encountering are all taking a toll on our friendship. But indeed he is a real friend. Very real. Friends at heart.

Anyways, Christian sent me a nice email about Jesus. He knew I like 'the symbol'. 'My' Christian is Catholic, Irish mother (very sweet, classy mother) and sarcastic father. Very shrewd to say the least. Not sure if 'my' Christian is a strict Cathloic. I can't really figure that out, why would I! I pretended to be a believing muslim, and in reaction he pretended to be a strict believer in Jesus. But, which 'islam' and which 'jesus' that we believed in? ehm, which pictures did we choose to believe? Hopefully not the dead ones.

''But that Jesus is nowhere to be found on our televisions or in our newsweeklies. Ironically, mass-market Christians rarely cite or emphasize the living Jesus, the Jesus who speaks. They like their Christ dead. Or nearly dead, as in Mel Gibson's movie. In that film, the entire Sermon on the Mount - the most important words Jesus spoke - is relegated to a few seconds of flashback.''

Interesting. We have our own version of jesus in islam, al-Hussien. He is portrayed as a martyr who sacrificed himself to save the 'muslims'; gave his life away as a wakeup call to redirect muslims from going astray. I am not really sure, why do we like to have our heros dead? What is the pleasure in thatl? To feel more and more guilty. To know that we are useless piece of junk who would never learn or appreciate the sacrifice and the messages. What is the purpose really? I actually hate that indirect message embedded in religion.

'My' Chris, Thank you!

Source: By Jack Hitt The Los Angeles Times Tuesday 26 April 2005

Comments

Mohamed said…
"Jesus loves you". You obviously do.
Anonymous said…
What does this mean? That I love jesus?!

If this is what you mean, then I am not sure. I never thought of it that way. I guess the mystery around him attracts me more. I dont buy this death thing, sacrifice, original sin (my apology to Christians), and thus I dont see him as a saviour, in the same way I don't see al-Hussien as a martyr in the Shi'a's sense.
haal said…
Ah, I forget to say that I dislike this 'Jesus loves you. He is your saviour. Come embrace Jesus.' Maybe the way they do it on TV in the states makes it a little dramatic to my taste.
Mohamed said…
I think they overdo it bardu. So why not love Jesus? what's wrong with that?! Love Jesus, love God and love all the prophets.
Anonymous said…
Too general of a statment.

How would you love some people you have never met.
Mohamed said…
Does this mean you don't and you'll never love God?
Anonymous said…
I didnt say that, nor the opposite. My point is the falling in love with what we 'project' or 'picture' to be god, or the prophets. My whole dilemma is these pictures... that for me are not the whole reality.
haal said…
A quick elaboration: take jesus for instant, for muslims he is a prophet that they are required to respect (do they know why? not sure all do but they obey--which for me does say something about the picture), for Christians they love a different jesus than of their fellow muslims. Moreso, they love the picture of the 'dead' jesus to that of the alive one (at least this what the article suggested).


Not sure why I insist to relate everything to pictures!
Anonymous said…
Catholics believe that Jesus is part of the three parts of God. Jesus is described as the "word". He is the part of God that has always spoken to man. He came to earth to give us a new agreement between God and us.

The word is his message. So when I say I love Jesus, I have this image of a brother sitting next to me, looking at me with a slight smile and telling me not to worry, I am loved more than I can ever imagine. And I do love Jesus, He has such a wonderful loving message, without the harsh judgement: forgiveness for all the seek it.

Whether one believe all the dogma that has been attached to this message is irrelevant - it is the message, the Word, that is what counts. "Love each other as I have loved you."
haal said…
'you are loved', so what?

Popular posts from this blog

WISH

ISLAMIC SHOP

CAN IT BE